- This event has passed.
NYHUSL Elections 2016
May 11, 2016 - June 21, 2016
Calling All Alumni! Calling All Classes!
It is time to nominate officers for the Howard University School of Law Alumni Club of New York (NYHUSL) for the 2016-2018 term to the offices of President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary and Treasurer.
Please email the current Vice President and Chair of Elections, Dwane Omar Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming a member of the 2016-2018 NYHUSL Board. We look forward to the next group of leaders to ensure the continued progress our beloved alumni club.
2016 NYHUSL BOARD ELECTION TIMELINE
May 11 through June 3:
Submit Nominations via Email to email@example.com
June 3 through June 10:
Confirmation of Financial Clearance and Acceptance of Nominations
Slate of Officers Announced and Voting Begins
June 13 through June 17:
NYHUSL Members Voting Period
Announcement of New Officers
Please see role descriptions below, with full bylaws available at http://www.nyhusl.org/bylaws.
- The President shall preside at all HUSLAC of NY meetings and at all meetings of the Executive Committee and shall have such other responsibilities as may be assigned to him or her by the Members.
- Is an ex-officio member of all committees.
- Directs and assumes ultimate responsibility for the success of all activities and projects sponsored by HUSLAC of NY.
- Is accountable for all contracts, monies and privileges made for and by HUSLAC of NY.
- Represents HUSLAC of NY on official Howard University business within his/her position as representative to the Howard University Alumni Council.
- Serves as the liaison of HUSLAC of NY to the Office of Alumni Relations, keeping that office abreast of HUSLAC of NY’s activities and complying with all requests of the Office of Alumni Relations.
- Acts as host to special guests of HUSLAC of NY.
- Assigns new leadership roles within HUSLAC of NY.
- The Vice President shall preside at meetings of the Members and the Executive Committee when the President is unable to do so and shall have such other responsibilities as may be assigned to the Vice President by the President or by the members. Performs the duties of the president in his/her absence.
- Executes any other assignment given him/her by the President.
- Prepares HUSLAC of NY’s annual report conferring with the President.
- If the position of President is vacated between regular elections, the current Vice President will assume that position.
- The Recording Secretary shall take and prepare the minutes of all HUSLAC of NY meetings including all reports submitted by sub-committees and/or individuals.
- Maintains HUSLAC of NY official membership roster including certification of officers, and reports any changes to the Executive Committee.
- Sends to the Office of Alumni Relations the Certification of membership, and the certification of elected officers.
- Act as custodian of HUSLAC of NY records.
- Performs all other duties incident to the office of Recording Secretary and such other duties as may be assigned to the Recording Secretary by the President or the members.
- The Corresponding Secretary shall send to local alumni and Office of Alumni Relations any newsworthy stories concerning alumni in the area or any special activity of HUSLAC of NY.
- Sends out correspondence and notices of activities to HUSLAC of NY members and the Office of Alumni Relations as required by these bylaws.
- Assists the Treasurer and co-signs all financial transactions.
- Performs all other duties incident to the office of Corresponding Secretary and such other duties as may be assigned to the Corresponding Secretary by the President or the members.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for collecting all funds, paying all financial obligations, keeps a written record of all financial transactions, and maintains all financial accounts for HUSLAC of NY.
- Assists in establishing a budget for HUSLAC of NY’s operation to be subsequently approved by the Executive Committee.
- Distributes membership cards upon the receipt of annual dues.
- Compiles a written financial report to be submitted semi-annually to the entire HUSLAC of NY membership.
- If required by the Department of Alumni Relations, the Treasurer shall give a bond for the faithful discharge of his or her duties in such amounts and with such surety or sureties as the Department of Alumni Relations shall determine.
- The Treasurer must forward national dues or donations to the Department of Alumni Relations within (30) thirty days of receipt.
- Serves as Chair of the Finance Committee.
- The Treasurer shall in general perform all of the duties of Office of Treasurer and such other duties as may be assigned to the Treasurer by the President or the members.
Only alumni who are financially current with both HUAA and NYHUSL are eligible to run for office and vote in elections. There is still time to become financially cleared by both HUAA and NYHUSL at http://www.nyhusl.org/payments. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.